This was an exciting week as it marks the beginning of a Smithsonian Fellowship at Cooper Hewitt, the flagship US museum for historical and contemporary design. Cooper Hewitt has digitised its entire collection, more than 200,000 design objects, and I will be spending the next 5 months at the museum working on data visualisation projects with this collection data in collaboration with Cooper Hewitt Labs.
I was fortunate enough to be selected to attend this year's Women Techmakers Summit at Google's New York City office. The day included a range of talks and panel sessions with speakers from organisations including Google, the New York Times, Buzzfeed, and the New York Public Library.
"What would you do if the Science Museum and its data were your creative playground for 2 days?" I recently attended the Science Museum's first hackathon for its brand-new Collection Online API of over 250,000 objects and archives. Participants were invited to "spend 2 days remixing, reusing, and reimagining the Science Museum" and "to think creatively about what Museum+Tech can mean".
I've integrated an ElasticSearch backend to these visualisations, allowing a user to dynamically search the texts for whatever terms they choose. This has raised a number of questions, particularly whether/how to use the 'relevance' ranking applied to results by ElasticSearch.
I recently took part in Data Week: an intensive R&D week with groups of developers and historians exploring and experimenting with interesting ways of using Wellcome's digitised historical collections.
I just finished spending the summer at Microsoft Research in Cambridge. I was interning with the Human Experience and Design research group, which, as its name suggests, is a group that researches around human experiences with computing. HXD is a multidisciplinary team with a skill-set encompassing design and social science in addition to engineering.
I've now built in the functionality to explore terms connected with the original search term by filtering and highlighting.
My supervisor Stephen and I presented at the Electronic Visualisation and the Arts London conference held at the British Computer Society. The paper, 'Using Data Visualisation to tell Stories about Collections', was also co-authored with Dr. Florian Kräutli (now at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science).
Developer conference Google I/O 2016 was held near Google's global headquarters in Mountain View, California and I was lucky enough to be awarded a ticket and travel scholarship from Women Who Code
I have been doing some work with the digitised Medical Officer of Health (MOH) reports from the Wellcome Library. The MOH reports were produced each year by the Medical Officer of Health of a London district and set out the work done by their public health
“RCA Researchers Put Chronographics on the Scholarly Map”: The Royal College of Art has published an article on their website featuring my research and that of my supervisor Prof Stephen Boyd Davis and colleagues Dr Florian Kräutli and Sam Cottrell.
I attended this 2-day workshop “bringing together experts in text analysis to share knowledge, best practice, and tools and techniques for text analysis visualisations”.
One of the British Library Labs datasets I have been working on is 40,000 digitised playbills (posters announcing a theatrical performance pasted up or distributed on the street) from British theatres 1750-1900. This data consists of metadata (theatre name, date etc.), and pdfs containing scanned playbills.